vendredi, février 25, 2005

of exams, shorts and elephants...

So anyway. My mid-terms are finally over, and as much as I wanna say that they don’t affect me the slightest bit, they do. And they did. My mum insists that I become a very crabby person when I have to spend a large part of the day cooped up in my room with an open textbook in front of me. And I can’t say she’s completely wrong either =p

I just remembered this and figured it should go in here:

Sunday night before my Social Psychology paper…

Me: Please tell me that Queer Eye last night was not a new episode, that
they’re repeating the season, and that Jai will be back, because even
though he is cute, Blair ain’t no Jai.

Ad: Yes lol he will be. He just leaves for two episodes or something…

Me: YAAAY!! The light at the end of my social psych tunnel =D

Okay that seemed a WHOLE lot funnier the other night…it’s not quite the same right now even though I dramatized it just a tad pfft.

So anyway.

The prawn story. *giggles*

We had gone to P.D. (which is a beach about an hour away, for the uninitiated) on one of the Chinese New Year days. To our great disappointment, the people (I’m sorry, but I have no idea who is in charge of these things) decided that it was a perfect day for a little bit of land reclamation. And where did the people decide to do this? RIGHT in front of my lil slice of…okay calling it paradise would be a very long shot, so forget about that. But it was right in front of the Yacht Club where we are sandwiched by the pool and the beach. Where we sit about all day and order endless rounds of Coke (90 sen for a WHOLE bottle!!), freshly squeezed juices and French fries, or whatever is the craving du jour.

My cousin Khanitha and I went for a little stroll to vent. After countless what-the-*beep*’s, we had made peace with the situation, and proceeded to go about with doing nothing. I read a book, spent some time in the sun, and then was rounded up for a little beach volleyball.

Or so we called it.

All I can say about that is we tried. We really did. Some people are just not meant for certain things. It was hilarious =)

P.D. is far from gorgeous. The water is murky, at its best. Visibility – let’s not even go there. I had no intention of submerging myself in the so-called sea, but I did, in the end. Cousins do that to you. Suddenly, you think to yourself, WAAAAIT a second I thought I wasn’t gonna do this! But there you are anyway, piggy-backing on one of them.

We were pretty far in, and messing about as usual.

Then suddenly, Jay says, “There’s something in my shorts”. Nobody really paid any attention. Meanwhile, he goes on to find out what exactly has invaded his shorts.

He thought it was a leaf.

He grabs it in his hand.

Now he’s not so sure it’s a leaf. He’s thinking it’s more like a stick.

His clenched fist emerges from the murky depths.

Slowly he unfurls his fingers in front of me.

And then I see a head. And legs.

What do I do?

I scream, of course!

He tosses it as far away as he can.

“Holy crap what the hell was that??!!”

“I think it was a prawn…”

Reduced to a fit of giggling, we both try to comprehend the fact that a PRAWN was in his SHORTS.

“That’s it, I’m getting outta here!”

I left the murky depths and headed for the shore.

Later, when telling my mum and yet another cousin about the rather adventurous – or misfortunate, depending on how you look at it – prawn, I was laughing so hard I didn’t know what I was saying!

So anyway.

A day or two later, we headed for the elephant sanctuary in Kuala Gandah. We had been there before, but it was like six years ago. The place is really different now, but what’s kinda. I don’t know. Interesting, is that the people who were there when we visited, the majority of them were not locals. I think we were the only ones. Some of the foreigners live here, and it was their sixth or seventh visit. I’d take a bet, that if I approach random Malaysians and ask them if they’ve heard of this place, they’d say no.

It’s an amazing experience, one that you don’t get to do even in Thailand, I’m told. You get to be so up-close to them, it’s unbelievable.

First, you get to feed them. They’re lead out [one actually walked out all by himself :) ]There’s about six of them, and they each have their own individual baskets of cut fruits, like papayas and watermelons. Most of them are partial to yam, though. So then you grab some fruit, and you just hold it out. Their trunks circle the crowd in front of them, looking for what they want. They’re kinda picky, actually =) Their trunks are like vacuum cleaners, it’s hilarious. It just makes you smile. Looking around, you see that everyone is smiling and having fun.

Then you get to ride them. Two elephants take visitors on a small round.

And then, they are taken to the little river, where people get on them to be thrown off.

I was standing in the shallow water, watching children squeal with pure, unadulterated delight as they ride the elephant a little further down the river, where it flips over to one side, throwing the kids off. They emerge, soaking wet with HUGE smiles on their faces.

What do I do?
I get in line, of course!

Getting on the elephant was hilarious, now that I think about it. It’s huge, and was sitting on one side, so when it got up, the three of us (my brother, me and another visitor) almost slid off, and you have to hang on like nobody’s business. I had cuts on my fingers from grabbing the rope. It’s just a tad uncomfortable if any part of your skin is exposed to the sandy elephant too! I was wearing three-quarter’s that I had rolled up some more, and later when I took my soggy clothes off, I found river sand in the folds!

And then the elephant walks…lumbers is more like it…down the river, and stops.

You go, uh-oh what the hell did I get myself into is it too late to get down I don’t wanna – and before you can finish that thought, you’re being thrown off an elephant.

For two seconds, you’re completely submerged in the river. It’s less that waist-deep, but when you’re thrown off, you go all the way to the bottom. And when you’re sitting behind someone, that someone lands on you, pushing you down more (it was my brother, in case you were wondering…).

And then you emerge. Soaking wet, with a huge smile on your face.

They only negative thing I have to say about this place is that their outdoor showers are a bloody mess, and need serious work.

I’m standing there, in next to nothing, and then I realize that my mum has accidentally took my jeans out of the bag of clothes when she brought it from the car.

What do I do?

I wrap two towels around my waist (one was too short, and the other was almost completely see-through!), and walk out of the showers, trying to ignore the strange looks from people wondering why I’m walking around in a towel (I had a t-shirt on, in case you were wondering…).

But anyway, it was a really cool experience, one that I’d definitely recommend. Plus, you get to play with a baby monkey rather strangely named Matthew, who belongs to the people who run a little café there. He’s adorable! The cheeky lil fella’s mum got shot or something, so the shop people are raising him. He has a penchant for sweet things, I gathered. I saw him lick icing sugar off a bowl. Then he hopped onto our table, stuck his fingers into my glass of lime juice (I had finished, in case you were wondering…) to get an ice-cube. He couldn’t, so he knocked it over, grabbed one, held it in his hands, and licked it. He’s adorable!!!

This is the website for the elephant sanctuary. I haven’t checked it out, so I can’t say anything about it.

http://www.myelephants.org

Getting there is a little tricky, but it’s worth it. They don’t have an entrance fee (quite silly if you ask me, cuz they get thousands of visitors a day!), they just ask that you donate before you leave.

So laters ;)


The book I was reading on the beach for the second time after a long wait was Bitten, by Kelley Armstrong. I definitely recommend it!


Song for today – You and Me by Lifehouse

Remember them?? I just heard this on the radio today, it’s an amazing song. Beautiful. Have a listen!

Aucun commentaire: