mercredi, décembre 27, 2006

noel

So Christmas came, and Christmas went. It just happened so quickly. There was hardly any anticipation. I remember saying that I didn’t think the presents had even been under the tree long enough to get excited about. I went shopping three times to get everything, and I was surprised at how completely exhausting it was!

On the 24th, my brother and I made a white chocolate mud cake. The method was a little strange – we had to melt butter, sugar, white chocolate and milk. When I tried some of the goop, I got seriously worried cuz it tasted like pure sugar. But it looked really, really pretty.


Even after adding the flour and eggs later, it still looked nothing like how other cakes look. But we chucked it in the oven, and a little over an hour later it was ready to come out. We then slopped a ganache over it and decorated it with little silver thingies. They have a name, I know they do…but I can’t remember now.


After dinner at home, we went for midnight mass at the Church of Our Lady Fatima (or something like that), which is the same church where my parents had one of their weddings (they had two, the other was in a temple) and where I was baptized (not sure about my brother). Mass finished just after midnight. We were sitting with my uncle and his family, and one thing I love about sitting with my cousin is that she knows exactly how much longer till mass is over. So then, we went for supper to my aunty’s house and we left at about two.

The next morning was the usual presents and breakfast thing that we do every year with my aunty’s family. This year, my uncle had some important golf game (quite paradoxical, if you ask me…) so he wasn’t there and it was just the seven of us. We had juice (apple and orange), French toast, hash browns, and they had bacon. We usually have a lot more than that, but we had a big lunch in a few hours and plus, it was a Monday. After eating, we got to the presents =D


From my mum and dad, I got a Body Shop gift set that had the Neroli Jasmine EDT (I knew I was getting this from someone), shower gel and body lotion. My brother bought me a crystal anklet from Above and a tin of nutless (wooo!) chocolate chip cookies from Famous Amos. My cousins got me Stop the Clocks (which I also knew I was getting. They brought it over the day before and it was completely obvious that it was a CD, but I don’t care…I got Stop the Clocks!!). My aunty and uncle gave me a Borders gift card and a silver scarfy/belt thing. And from Ads I got a pair of this really cool flip flops :)

Once that was all over, we had to get ready for the lunch. My cousins were coming with us, so they got ready here. Jay, for some reason, brought his hairdryer. It was the strangest thing!

Lunch at Antonio’s, the Italian restaurant that my dad and his family own a part of or something like that was with pretty much the whole of my dad’s family. There was salad, breaded mushrooms (which were apparently really, really good), bruschetta (likewise) and soup (either seafood, which I had, or mushroom). After a bit of an intermission, during which my niece, Selena and my cousin, Dinesh and I had a bit of fun with shiny confetti that was lying around on the tables, we had the main course, which was a choice of either lamb (which was apparently, also really, really good) or chicken. Everyone was so full, that when they brought the turkey out after the main, it was sent back to be packed up. Dessert was the cake, which people actually ate…and LIKED! Even though it was just family, I was all worried and things. Everyone assumed it was all me, and I had to keep reminding them that my brother made it too. Talk about gender stereotypes!

Later on, the breakfast people came over again so my uncle could open his presents. We then had a late dinner at some place called William’s. The food was good, but the place wasn’t. Yesterday, the four of us and Jay went to the Yacht Club in P.D. for the day. Once we got there, I listened to the whole of Stop the Clocks, during which the boys had their lunch then played “football” on the beach, and we played pool (I sunk many balls =D ). The weather was a bit weird, cloudy but hot. Once we finally got off the deck chairs and had dessert, we went to the playground. Between the three of us, we did everything there – serious fun! Then we went to the beach for some “volleyball” and some more “football”. The tide was out, so we had to walk past the bit with the crabs, which were HUGE. I’ve never seen them so big! Usually, they’re so tiny you barely see them. I only went into the water as far as my ankles, cuz things have never been the same after the prawn.

After the boys ate some more and had showers, we left. Later, I was watching the HBO movie about the tsunami. It’s been two years, and over fifty thousand people are still missing. I think that’s the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone. Imagine, you go on a holiday, and you come back missing a family member or a friend. How do that many people just vanish? And to think, we were going to Phuket two weeks later. We had air tickets, hotels…everything.

I’ve been listening to Stop the Clocks a lot. There’s not one song on it I don’t love :)

Aucun commentaire: