vendredi, décembre 22, 2006

surprises, zen moments and slippery senoritas

I was just looking at the pictures I took in Penang :) So here's the recap.

Early Wednesday morning, Ads and I hopped on a bus to Butterworth. The four and a half hour journey wasn't actually that bad - I didn't even finish reading the Cleo magazine (almost complete fluff) I had. The bus stopped at the ferry terminal, and once we were on the island, we took a cab to the Penang Club. We hadn't had lunch so we asked the receptionist if there was any food nearby, and she said that Swatow Lane was just down the road. So we set off, all the time looking over our shoulders just in case Priya, who had no idea we were there, happened to whiz by or something. After wandering around a bit, we come across the same place Priya and her mum took me to the last time I was Penang! We had Majestic Rojak (I swear, that's what the sign says), which has the stickiest rojak sauce I've ever seen. It's got the consistency of honey!


All we kept talking about was how cheap everything was. The Char Kuay Teow was only three ringgit, and was excellent also.


But taking pictures of food felt a leeetle too touristy, so I put my camera away and enjoyed the food. Once we were done, we wandered around some more, trying to decide where to go shopping and how to get there. We decided on taking a cab to Gurney Plaza. We were still on the lookout for Priya, and we even agreed to duck into the men's room if we had to ;)

We headed back to the club after that, and hung out in the gorgeous, gorgeous garden. There was this h
uge tree that had benches around its base, and the sea was just beyond that. It was seriously breezy and so peaceful. I could spend ages there, just chilling. Very, very Zen.


Then we left to go get ready, and made our way to the Family Room that had been done up in purple and white. It looked gorgeous! Everyone was waiting for Priya to get there, and she still had NO idea what was going on. Finally, she was there, and her expression was priceless! She reacted in what Ads and I deemed a classic Priya way, and it was the coolest. A little while later, the newly tattooed Jacqui showed up. I can't remember the last time I saw her, maybe two years ago, so that was brilliant too. The food was really good, there was a DJ, but I was completely frozen and had to keep going out of the room to thaw. Then Ads suggested a drink to warm me up, which actually was a really good idea, but a whiskey-coke later, I was not warm at all. Just as we got a second, we decided to go down to the patio area to thaw some more. It was breezy as hell, but slightly less cold than it was upstairs. We had been talking to Jacob when suddenly Jacqui calls and goes, "COME NOW THEY'RE CUTTING THE CAKE!" which resulted in my getting up a little too quickly for two whiskey-cokes. That was followed by Ads and Priya inhaling helium and singing 'Silent Night'. I'd never done that before, so I did. It was weird. What was also weird was me, Jacqui and Ads hanging out in the bathroom, talking for a long time. The bathroom? But it was all good :)

Some people were dancing while Ads and I chilled (I have got to stop using this word) with Jacqui. Then the DJ started playing old music, and we did the whole YMCA hand thing while sitting down. It was funny - the only thing people know about that song are the hand movements and the "young man" bits. At about one, it was decided that the after party would be at Slippery Senoritas, which was just down the road. I changed, and we left. The
place was crowded-ish, but it was Ladies' Night. There was a bunch of guys who looked like they were about twelve. We went to the bathroom, took pictures in the mirror, and when we were leaving Ads said she saw Utt walk into the men's.


We went upstairs, where we stayed until they closed. There were two bottles of vodka, juice and Pepsi (ugh.), and it was a whole lot of fun (aside from the creepy guys who would not look away when I went down with Ads for a while). There was good music - Sean Paul, that song with Jennifer Lopez - Lose Control, Terriyaki Boyz.

After leaving, Ads and Jacqui decided to have a little karaoke session in her car while waiting for the others. Panic! was on the radio when I was talking to Durvesh just before 4 a.m. and they were singing along. The plan was to go out for food, but that didn't happen to Jacqui dropped us back at the club. After a really random picture, I was in bed by 4.30.

The next morning, Priya came to our room at about 10.30 for a little chat. After she left, Ads and I had juice (again) in the garden (again) and I had a Zen-like moment (again). I took some really cool pictures, and later on the whole bunch of us had a nice Indian lunch before Ads and I had to leave. We made it just in time for the bus at 3, I was home before 8, and falling asleep during Amazing Race: Asia.

Many little things made Penang oodles of fun, but for the most part, it was my chicas. I miss them already.

Today afternoon my brother and I finally started our Christmas shopping, and we managed to get 1.5 presents and plan the rest. There are two presents under our tree, and both have my name on them. The second one was there when I got back. And yes, of course I rattled it to figure out what's inside. Haven't got the faintest idea. It's not Stop the Clocks though =/

More Christmas shopping tomorrow, so laters for now.


Song for today - Again by Lenny Kravitz. I had forgotten all about this song, till they played it to get people out of the club. Not that it worked for us.

Aucun commentaire: